Westlake Dermatology operates an in-house dermatopathology lab to aid in the diagnosis, prognosis, and monitoring of various dermatological conditions.
What is Dermatopathology?
Dermatologists are trained to recognize most skin diseases based on their appearance, anatomy, and behavior. Sometimes, however, to conclusively determine a diagnosis the physician must perform a skin biopsy to be further examined on a microscopic level, which is where the role of the dermatopathologist comes in.
Dermatopathology is a sub-specialty of dermatology and pathology that focuses on the histopathologic analysis of skin. Pathologists and dermatopathologists are physicians that are trained to observe cells on a microscopic level, synthesize the data, and diagnose the disorder to create a plan of action for treatment. Examples of these cases involve diagnoses of various skin conditions including skin cancers and rashes.
With the diagnostic expertise of specialty trained physicians and histology technicians, our dermatopathology team provides efficient and reliable results of patient biopsies.
- Gross and microscopic examination of skin, mucosa, hair, and nails
- Extensive immunohistochemistry and special stains menu
- Personalized, local service
- Rapid turn-around time
- Daily courier service to transport specimens to our lab
- Highly-skilled histotechnologists with approximately 30 years of collective experience
- Accepting specimens from our own clinics throughout Austin, as well as other area dermatologists and primary care providers
Our team of dermatopathologists are board certified in multiple specialties and comprise a range of academic and private practice experience. Each are committed to providing the physicians and patients they serve with accurate, timely diagnostic results and are available to consult when questions arise.
- Julie Jackson, MD – Board Certified in Dermatology and Dermatopathology
Dermatopathology Contact Info
- Phone: 512.617.9197
- Fax: 512.666.3747