Brow Lift Surgery
A low or sagging brow may project that an individual appears sad or tired, even when they are not. This trait may be a result of overactive muscles in the forehead and brow region, heredity, or natural aging. Over time, the forehead can begin to droop and wrinkle, sometimes giving the appearance of a permanent scowl. A brow lift, also referred to as a forehead lift, is a surgical procedure that can correct a low-position, sagging, or “hooded” brow, eliminate deep wrinkles, and restore a more youthful appearance.
Before and After Brow Lift
View Brow Lift Photo Gallery
How is a brow lift performed?
Most brow lift surgeries performed at Westlake Dermatology are temporal brow lifts. In this procedure, short incisions are made on each side of the scalp, either at the hairline or a short distance behind the hairline. After the surgeon carefully separates the skin from underlying tissue, the skin is stretched and excised where necessary. Sutures are used where the incisions were made, which are removed in 5 to 7 days. Brow lift surgery is performed under twilight or general anesthesia for your comfort.
Benefits of the temporal brow lift surgery over traditional or classic (coronal) brow lift surgery is that the procedure utilizes significantly smaller incisions than a classic or traditional brow lift surgery, minimizing both the recovery time and appearance of scarring. In addition, the temporal brow lift techniques generally do not raise the hairline as much as in a classic brow lift.
What can a brow lift accomplish?
A brow lift procedure can correct several common signs of aging in the brow area. Specifically brow lifts can:
- Reduce furrows and other signs of aging in the forehead and brow areas, creating a softer, relaxed and rejuvenated facial appearance.
- Minimize the creases that develop across the forehead, or those that occur high on the bridge of the nose, between the eyes.
- Improve what are commonly referred to as “frown lines”, the vertical creases that develop between the eyebrows.
- Reposition a low or sagging brow that is hooding the upper eyelid.
- Raise the eyebrows to a more alert and youthful position.
What should I expect after my brow lift surgery?
You will be instructed to wear a tight pressure dressing around your brow area for a few days following the procedure. During the next few days bruising and swelling should subside. Within about a week, you will begin to notice a higher, more youthful-looking brow. Full effect of the surgery will be complete after about a month.
Are there any non-surgical alternatives?
A temporary lifting of the brow may be achieved by the use of Botox® Cosmetic in patients looking for mild improvement. Botox® relaxes the muscles that are pulling the brow down. Within a few days after treatment, you will notice a slight, natural elevation of the brows that lasts approximately four to six months.
Our Plastic Surgeons
- Chuma Chike-Obi, MD (Downtown Austin)
- Minas Constantinides, MD FACS (Lamar Central)
- Cameron Craven, MD FACS (Westlake)
- Kristy Hamilton, MD (Houston)
- Timothy McGee, MD (Round Rock)
Where are brow lift surgeries performed?
We currently have four on-site surgery centers accredited by either the Joint Commission or the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities. These are located at our Downtown Austin, Lamar Central, Round Rock, and Westlake locations.
We now offer brow lift procedures in our Houston office located in University Place (at the corner of Bissonnet Street and Shepherd Drive). Contact us today for more information.
Additional Brow Lift Resources
- Brow Lift Recovery: Tips + What To Expect
- Eyelid Surgery vs. Brow Lift: What’s the Difference?
- Different Types Of Brow Lifts – Which Technique Is Best?
- How Much Does Brow Lift Cost?