Pro Tips: Dermal Roller and Microneedling Treatments
While relatively simple when compared to today’s high tech laser procedures, microneedling is an extremely effective skin rejuvenation treatment. Microneedling involves the use of a small hand-held device that is studded with 12 fine surgical steel microneedles. These needles vary in depth but commonly range between 0.5mm to 2.5mm. Longer lengths are used for the body while shorter lengths are designed for use on the face.
The micro-pen is glided over a targeted area of skin, creating tiny punctures (pin pricks) in the dermal layer of the skin.
Microneedling can produce two significant effects for the skin:
- The process creates a minor injury to the skin which initiates the body’s natural healing process. Specifically, it stimulates the production of collagen and fibroblasts. Increased collagen (a protein that promotes skin elasticity) minimizes wrinkles and the visual effects of scarring.
- Microneedle based treatments can also increase skin absorption rates of topical application based treatments. The pin pricks created by the micro needle act as tiny channels through the surface of the skin allowing topical treatments to penetrate deep into the dermal and epidermal layers of the skin.
Tips for DIY Dermal Rollers
The most effective dermal roller treatments are performed in a clinic. However, there are also some devices sold over-the-counter for at-home use. If you’re thinking about using a dermal roller device at home here are some recommendations:
- Follow any instructions provided by the manufacturer of the device.
- Apply manufacturer recommended serums or creams immediately after stamping the skin.
- Use the roller gently; making vertical, horizontal, and diagonal rolls 2-3 times in the same area. Avoid pressing too hard as excessive pressure can lead to skin irritation.
- Make sure to stay at least a half an inch from your eyes and lips.
- To prevent contamination make sure to thoroughly and properly clean and dry your dermal roller device after each use.
Enhancing Treatments with Microneedling
Microneedling can be a powerful delivery agent for various skin rejuvenation treatments including:
- Kojic acid: A gentle and proven skin lightener and no toxic issues in conjunction. Microneedling can gently even out pigmentation in the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid: “Super” hydration ingredient combined with microneedling will give the skin immediate and long-lasting hydration.