Austin Laser Tattoo Removal
Over 45 million Americans have tattoos. One in five want them removed. Westlake Dermatology is the first in Austin, the first in Texas, and one of the first 15 in the world to offer the new PicoSure™ laser tattoo removal treatment.
“Dr. Coleman was awesome! He was very personable and kind. He took time with me to insure I had the best tattoo removal experience. Thank you so very much.” — Roxanne O. (October 25, 2014)
What is the PicoSure tattoo removal laser?
Using picosecond technology, the PicoSure laser offers a breakthrough in laser tattoo removal treatment. Ultra-short pulse bursts of energy are delivered to the skin in just trillionths of a second. The picosecond pulse width is 100 times shorter than the nanosecond technology used with traditional tattoo removal systems. Clinical studies show that PicoSure is able to treat darker, multi-colored, and complex tattoos more efficiently, with more significant removal in much less time.
How does PicoSure remove tattoos?
Traditional nanosecond lasers used for tattoo removal rely predominately on photothermal (heat) action delivered to the pigment of the tattoo and the surrounding tissue. The ultra-short pulse of energy of PicoSure goes beyond the photothermal action of a traditional laser by creating an intense photomechanical effect that shatters the target ink into tiny particles that are easily eliminated by the body, while leaving the surrounding tissue unheated.
Other tattoo removal lasers often require 20 to 30 treatments. PicoSure treatments can often clear tattoos in about 8 to 12 treatments spaced 8 weeks apart.
Benefits of PicoSure
PicoSure is the latest advancement in laser tattoo removal services.
- Reduced side effects, including less injury to surrounding skin
- Fewer treatments than traditional lasers
- Improved clearance, even on difficult ink colors (including blues, greens, and reds) and recalcitrant tattoos
- Quick treatments that last just minutes
Contraindications for PicoSure
At this time, PicoSure can only be used on Skin Types I-IV, not V (African-American). PicoSure is not able to treat cosmetic tattoos (eyeliner and eyebrows).
Other Applications for PicoSure
In addition to tattoo removal, PicoSure is approved for the treatment of benign pigmented lesions. These lesions are a result of the cells in the skin producing too much melanin in a localized region, often as a result of sun exposure or aging.
Additional Tattoo Removal Resources
- Why Tattoo Removal Creams Don’t Work
- Why Laser Tattoo Removal Sessions Must Be Spaced Out
- Debunking Common Myths of Laser Tattoo Removal
- Tips: Taking Care Of Your Tattoo
- Thinking About Getting a Tattoo? Read This First!
- 9 Factors That Determine Tattoo Removal Success
- PicoSure Tattoo Removal: What to Expect