Analysis: 2018 Plastic Surgery Statistics
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) recently released its 2018 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report which presents statistical trends in both surgical and non-surgical cosmetic treatments in the United States for fiscal year 2018. The annual report provides an interesting look at demand levels for popular and up-and-coming treatments.
We’ve scoured the report and pulled out some of its most interesting findings:
Total Cosmetic Treatments Performed In 2018
Americans underwent a total of 17.7 million total cosmetic treatments (both surgical and non-surgical) in 2018. That amounts to a 2% increase from 2016, where 17.4 million procedures were performed. Approximately 10% (1,811,740) of the 17.7 million treatments of 2018 were surgical, while approximately 90% (15,909,931) were non-surgical (or minimally invasive) procedures.
Most Popular Cosmetic Procedures Of 2018
Top 5 Surgical Procedures
- Breast Augmentation: 313,735 procedures, up 4% from 2017
- Liposuction: 258,558 procedures, up 5% from 2017
- Rhinoplasty (Nose Surgery): 213,780 procedures, down 2% from 2017
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty): 206,529 procedures, down 1% from 2017
- Tummy Tuck: 130,081procedures, no significant change from 2017
Top 5 Non-Surgical Procedures
- Neurotoxin (Botox, Xeomin, Dysport): 7,437,378 procedures, up 3% from 2017
- Dermal (Soft Tissue) Fillers: 2,676,970 procedures, up 2% from 2017
- Chemical Peel: 1,384,327 procedures, up 1% since 2017
- Laser Hair Removal: 1,077,490 procedures, down 1% from 2017
- Microdermabrasion: 709,413 procedures, down 4% from 2017
Body Procedures Surge
The 2018 statistics showcase an increasing demand for enhancing the body using both surgical and non-surgical techniques. Three of the top five surgical procedures are dedicated to the body. Liposuction and breast augmentation both experienced a sizeable amount of growth for the year while facial treatments like rhinoplasty and eyelid surgery experienced a decline. There were also notable demand gains (not in the top 5 procedure lists) for buttock augmentation, breast lift surgery, thigh lift surgery, and Coolsculpting.
Non-Invasive Techniques Continue to Gain Popularity
The growth rate of non-surgical procedures was double that of surgical treatments, showcasing the ever-growing demand for cosmetic enhancement without the pain and required recovery times of surgery. Neurotoxins (like Botox), skin tightening laser treatments, and non-invasive fat reduction treatments all increased steadily.
Fat Is In
Fat transfer (fat grafting) procedures experienced some of the largest growth when comparing 2017 to 2018. Brazilian Butt Lift procedures experienced a 19% growth within the year while butt implants fell by 28%. The use of fat as a facial filler increased by 16%, which is a significant gain compared to the 2% growth rate of hyaluronic based fillers like Juvederm and Restylane.