How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
A common question from dermal filler patients is “How long do dermal fillers last?” The best answer to this seemingly simple question is “It depends.” Result duration can significantly differ from patient to patient based on a number of factors including the type of filler used, which area of the face is treated, and the patient’s own metabolism level. It also depends on the area the filler is placed. If the filler is placed in a high movement area such as the lips then the filler will not last as long.
Here’s a simple chart showing the average length of time that results last for several popular fillers:
|6 to 12 Months
|Up to 24 Months
|12 to 18 Months
|9 to 12 Months
|4 to 8 Months
Result Duration by Filler Type
Different fillers provide varying duration of results as illustrated in the table above. The variations in the length or results are due primarily to differing materials used in each brand’s formulation, along with the consistency of the filler (thicker fillers tend to last longer). However, it’s important to keep in mind that result duration is merely one of many factors to consider as fillers also differ in their ability to address specific aging symptoms or be used in specific facial areas.
See our dermal fillers comparison guide to learn more about the differences between the most popular fillers.
Result Duration by Facial Area
The area of treatment will also impact how long filler results can last. Here’s a basic summary of how long fillers typically last in each facial area:
- Lips: There are many different fillers for lip augmentation (i.e. lip injections). Popular choices include Juvederm Ultra and Restylane-L, both of which can last up to 12 months.
- Eyes: Hyaluronic acid-based fillers like Restylane used to treat the eyes (including the tear trough area) typically last around 12 months.
- Nose: Nose enhancement through a “liquid rhinoplasty” procedure can be performed with Restylane, which can last anywhere from 9 to 12 months.
- Cheeks: Voluma used to enhance the cheeks can last up to 24 months, while Restylane can last approximately 15 months.
- Corners of Mouth: Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane produce great results, with both fillers lasting up to 1 year in the area.
- Chin: Chin augmentation procedures using Voluma or Radiesse often last between 16 and 24 months.
Ways to Make Dermal Fillers Last Longer
The only way to indefinitely keep the results of fillers is to undergo periodic “maintenance” treatments. The simple touch up injections can be performed just as the results begin to wear off.
Additionally, simple habits like wearing sunscreen daily, eating a healthy diet, and following a sound skincare regimen can help extend filler results (see this post for more information).