2018 Statistics: The Most Popular Cosmetic Treatments for Men
While females make up the majority of Americans undergoing both surgical and non-surgical cosmetic treatments, a greater number of men are turning to cosmetic procedures to improve their appearance. Statistics collected from the 2018 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report, prepared by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reveal an increasing number of men seeking to enhance their appearance.
According to the report, American men underwent a total of 1,306,844 cosmetic procedures in 2018, which equates to around 8% of the 15,983,765 total cosmetic procedures performed on both sexes. Male cosmetic procedures were split between surgical (214,741) and non-surgical (1,092,103).
The report provides an interesting view into which procedure are most appealing to men. Here are the 5 most popular surgical and non-surgical cosmetic treatments for the guys:
- Rhinoplasty (nose surgery): 52,660 (25% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery): 31,494 (15% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
- Liposuction: 29,528 (11% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
- Gynecomastia Surgery (male breast reduction): 24,753
- Hair Transplant: 16,840 (71% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
- Neurotoxin (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin): 452,812 (6% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
- Laser Hair Removal: 184,688 (17% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
- Microdermabrasion: 136,885 (19% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
- Chemical Peel: 102,683 (7% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
- Dermal Fillers: 100,702 (4% of all procedures performed on both sexes)
Other Interesting Observations
Beyond showcasing top treatments for men, the report also highlights several other interesting male cosmetic trends.
Fastest Growing Surgical Procedures
Of all surgical procedures, hair transplant surgery unsurprisingly experienced the highest increase in demand from the previous year. The next three fastest growing procedures were more far more interesting. More men are demanding chin augmentation (up 10% from 2017), butt lift surgery (up 5% from 2017) and lip augmentation (up 5% from 2017).
Fastest Growing Non-Surgical Procedures
On the non-surgical front, an increasing number of men focused on improving their facial volume and addressing unsightly veins. The male demand for facial rejuvenation via a fat transfer procedure grew by 9% from 2017. The second fastest growing non-surgical treatment for males was sclerotherapy, a safe and effective way to get rid of unwanted spider and varicose veins.
New Category – Pectoral Implants
The 2018 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report is the first instance of the ASPS gathering data on male chest augmentation through pectoral implants. The study shows 700 total procedures performed in 2018. It will be interesting to see if the demand for this procedure will increase in the years to come.