Tummy Tuck Surgery
A tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery procedure that addresses loose skin and lax abdominal muscles that often occurs after pregnancy, significant weight loss, or with normal aging. A tummy tuck differs from liposuction in that it not only removes fat, but removes excess skin and tones abdominal muscles to dramatically transformed the entire silhouette.
Westlake Dermatology is a leading provider of abdominoplasty in Texas. We now offer tummy tuck surgery in Dallas at our University Park location. Dr. Jonathan Nathan and our entire staff are dedicated to helping their patients look and feel their very best.
Types of Tummy Tuck Procedures
Varying types of tummy tuck procedures are available to meet the unique needs of each patient. Common abdominoplasty procedures include the following:
Mini Tummy Tuck: The mini tummy tuck is the least invasive version of abdominoplasty. It is ideal for slender patients seeking to address what’s commonly known as a FUPA, a lower belly bulge between the mons pubis and belly button.
Standard Tummy Tuck: Sometimes referred to as a full or traditional tummy tuck, a standard tummy tuck is ideal for individuals who wish to flatten the abdomen both right above and below the belly button.
Extended Tummy Tuck: Also called a circumferential lower body lift, an extended tummy tuck addresses the full abdomen, hips and lower back. This technique addresses excess skin for those who have lost a significant amount of weight. The procedure completely reshapes the upper body.
How Is A Tummy Tuck Performed?
Tummy tuck surgery is an outpatient procedure, meaning patients are able to return home the same day. Most abdominoplasty procedures are performed under general anesthesia. Each type of tummy tuck begins with an incision across the lower abdomen, made low enough so it will be hidden by most bathing suits and undergarments. Excess skin is removed and slack muscles are tightened. Remaining skin is then re-draped over the abdomen and sutured, resulting in a flat stomach.
What Is Tummy Tuck Recovery Like?
Recovery time depends on the type of tummy tuck performed, and the patient’s individual healing ability. The following timeline is typical of tummy tuck patients:
- 1-3 Days: Patients may experience mild to moderate pain in the first few days following the procedure. Discomfort during this time may be treated with prescription pain medications.
- 7-10 Days: Sutures are generally removed at approximately one-week post-surgery.
- 2 Weeks: Most patients return to work and light daily activities within 2 weeks of their tummy tuck.
- 4 Weeks: At approximately one month, most patients are able to return to moderate activity, excluding sit-ups or other exercises that target the abdominals.
- 6 Weeks: During this time, patients have typically completed the recovery process and restrictions on activity are lifted.
Who is a Good Candidate for Abdominoplasty?
Tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure. Anyone in good overall health who has lost elasticity in their skin, or whose abdominal muscles have become overstretched is a good candidate for abdominoplasty.
Patients with localized belly fat but tight skin and healthy musculature may be better suited for a liposuction procedure. In some cases, liposuction and abdominoplasty are performed together.
A consultation with an experienced surgeon can help you decide which body contouring option is best for you.
About Westlake Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery Dallas
Westlake Dermatology is a leading provider of breast augmentation procedures in Texas. Our Dallas team is dedicated to providing the best care to our patients. We perform the latest techniques using the finest implants in state-of-the-art surgical centers to safely provider our patients with their desired end results.
Meet Our Dallas Plastic Surgeon
- Dr. Jonathan Nathan: Jonathan Nathan, MD, MBA is a board certified plastic surgeon with over ten years of rigorous training. Born and raised in Dallas, Dr. Nathan completed his undergraduate studies at Southern Methodist University (SMU) before completing medical school at Texas Tech University and plastic and reconstructive surgery training at Loyola University in Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Nathan began his career practicing in Chicago where he served as the Director of the Plastic Surgery Division for a multi-specialty organization. Dr. Nathan’s passion for teaching led him to be involved with the training of surgical residents in Chicago. Dr. Nathan loves working with patients to develop individualized treatment plans and provide dramatic end results.
How Much Does Tummy Tuck Surgery Cost?
The total cost of abdominoplasty procedure depends on the type of tummy tuck technique performed. More extensive versions of the surgery are more difficult and take more time to complete, increasing the overall cost. Learn more about tummy tuck pricing