Teledermatology Tips: How To Prepare & What Conditions Can Be Treated
Telehealth for all specialties has become increasingly popular recently in order to best serve our patients during this pandemic. Teledermatology allows you to have a virtual appointment with your provider for many skin concerns or questions.
Preparing For A Teledermatology Appointment
- Ensure you have good lighting. Choose a well lit room or a room with plenty of natural light. You want shadows to be minimal.
- Log in to your patient portal ahead of time and update your account information and health history including medical problems, active medications, and drug allergies.
- Be sure you can adequately expose the skin involved. If it is your face, ensure you have taken off any make-up.
- Have a list of any questions you may have.
- Have the contact information for the pharmacy you prefer ready in case a prescription is sent.
- Have a pen and paper nearby in case you want to take notes.
- Try to find a quiet room if possible.
What Skin Conditions Can Be Treated Through Teledermatology
- Seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff)
- Periorificial dermatitis
- Rashes (eczema, psoriasis, allergic contact dermatitis, etc)
- Bug bites
- Some spot checks or skin infections
- Cosmetic consultations