Breast enhancement surgery continues as the second most popular plastic surgery performed. Breast augmentation enhances the size and shape of the breasts through the placement of implants.
Breast augmentation surgeries are performed on-site at our Westlake location in Austin, Texas. Westlake Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery has earned a “Gold Seal Approval” outpatient surgery center accreditation by the Joint Commission. Joint Commission accreditation is recognized nationwide as a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to meeting certain performance standards.
How much is a breast augmentation?
A breast augmentation procedure is $5,000 for saline implants or $6,000 for silicone implants, which includes the doctor’s fee, implants, anesthesia, operating room fees, pre-op and follow-up visits. Each patient needs to be evaluated to assess her individual needs.
What options are available for breast augmentation?
The FDA has approved the use of both saline (sterile salt water) and silicone as available implant filler options for women considering breast augmentation. Both options are made of biocompatible material and have a smooth or textured silicone shell. Implants come in varying sizes and shapes to accommodate different body types and volumetric increases. Your body type, chest size, and density of breast tissue will help determine the implant size and shape. Implants can be placed either above the muscle or below the muscle. The incision for placement can be made around the nipple, in the armpit, or in the crease of the breast. There are pros and cons to each location. Prior to surgery, you will consult with Dr. Craven at our Westlake location in Austin to discuss your options and concerns regarding the procedure.
How long does the procedure take?
Breast augmentation surgery typically takes about one hour and is performed under either general anesthesia or local with intravenous sedation.
Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation?
Women who want to improve the size, shape, symmetry or proportion of their breasts are good candidates for the procedure. Breast augmentation can also be used to correct minimal sag.
How quick is the recovery time?
Most patients are able to return to light activities within a week. It may take six to eight weeks for the implants to settle into their final position.
Interesting facts about breast augmentation surgeries
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery published the following findings in a report “Breasts: From A to D – An Evolution of Breast Size, Enhancement and Attitude”.
- 31% of implants used now for breast augmentation surgeries are saline and 69% are silicone.
- The number of breast augmentation surgeries performed in the U.S. increased 213% from 1997 to 2011, from 101, 176 to 316,848.
- The average woman who undergoes a breast augmentation is in her mid-30′s, is married or in a long-term relationship, and has received some college education.
- Top reasons that women choose to have a breast augmentation:
- 91% – to look better naked
- 84% – to look better in clothes
- 84% – they want larger breasts
- 81% – to feel better about herself
- 79% – to feel more confident
- 74% – to feel less self-conscious
- Since 1997, the average breast size has increased from a 34B to a 36C.
- The average implant size is a C cup.
- 92% of women who had a breast augmentation would recommend the procedure.