Michael Coverman, MD
Michael Coverman, MD is board certified by the American Board of Dermatology, the American Board of Internal Medicine, and the National Board of Medical Examiners. After operating a solo practice in Austin for nearly 40 years, Dr. Coverman joined the team of physicians at Westlake Dermatology in 2017. He sees patients at our North Austin location.
Dr. Coverman grew up in Miami, completed pre-medical studies at the University of Florida, and then graduated with an M.D. degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine. From Miami, he then settled in Seattle, Washington where he completed a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Washington as well as a Dermatology fellowship. Dr. Coverman’s thoughts after living on two opposite sides of the country (Miami and Seattle): two different parts of the country, two different cultures, two different climates, but two great places to live and experience the best in academics.
Dr. Coverman’s military service was at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska (Strategic Air Command Headquarters) where he was a Major and Chief of Dermatology. While there, he obtained a clinical faculty teaching position at the University of Nebraska in Omaha and taught dermatology residents.
Following his service in Omaha, Dr. Coverman relocated to Austin for several reasons: it has a southern climate (he loves outdoor sports, particularly golf, jogging and tennis), and he wanted a city midway between the two coasts in order to travel easily to medical meetings and to see family.
In 1978, Dr. Coverman set up his solo practice in Austin. Always hungry to learn more and do more, any time a new technology, procedure, or medical advancement came out, he tried to be the first to learn it, master it, and then use it. In 1981, he was the first doctor in all of Texas to use Zyderm Collagen implants (fillers) for soft tissue augmentation. In 1983, he traveled to Cincinnati, Ohio and trained on lasers with Dr. Leon Goldman and his staff. Dr. Coverman was the first in Austin to use lasers for the skin, and since then has become proficient in CO2, Yag, IPL, Fraxel, and many more. He was also the first dermatologist in Austin to open a medically supervised skin care salon within his office in 1981.
Dr. Coverman is a prodigious reader and a student of history and the English language. He reads anything he can get his hands on: periodicals, newspapers, and books. He particularly enjoys discussing books with patients and hear about what they are reading, too. In addition to reading, he has a passion for art and photography, and he loves to travel.
Dr. Coverman is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Medical Association, the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, the Austin Dermatological Society, the Texas Dermatological Society, the Texas Medical Association, and the Travis County Medical Society. In addition, Dr. Coverman is certified by the American Medical Association through its Physician’s Recognition Award and has been selected as a Super Doctor in Texas for the years of 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Testimonials about Dr. Coverman
- “Doctor C was very friendly” — John A. (December 22, 2019)
- “Dr Coverman and his staff are great.” — Carlos C. (December 4, 2019)
- “You already do everything possible to make a visit to a doctor’s as comfortable as possible. The staff is always friendly, and in good moods. They are understanding and empathetic and Dr. Coverman is the ultimate professional who can put anyone at ease. Just keep doing what you’re doing!” — John P. (November 6, 2019)
- “I have worked with Dr Coverman for 9 years. He always takes great care of me. He knows what he is doing and he does it well.” — James M. (October 31, 2019)
- “Really liked doctor’s easy going manner. Have already recommended him to others.” — Annette M. (October 30, 2019)
- “I cannot say enough good things about the first rate customer service and quality of care received at Westlake Dermatology!” — Kammi C. (September 18, 2019)
- “Everything went great!! Thank you all for being such a great team.” — Mary K. (August 14, 2019)
- “”Great experience. Staff is wonderful and made me feel at ease and the entire visit was a great one.” — Ronald P. (August 9, 2019)
- “Overall excellent experience.” — Craig L. (July 23, 2019)
- “We love Dr Coverman! He’s taken care of us for years!” — Dennis R. (July 12, 2019)
- “The staff is all super friendly and helpful with any questions I may have. Dr. Coverman is the best dermatologist I’ve seen to date. I was very concerned about my alopecia condition and he helped coping with it so much easier with great treatment and answering all of my questions.” — Demetria R. (May 17, 2019)
- “I have been one of Dr Coverman’s patients for many years. He provides comprehensive care in a friendly, comfortable care. All of the staff are friendly, professional, and helpful. Highly recommend!” — James M. (May 9, 2019)
- “I was very happy with our doctor, he was very knowledgeable and made us feel confident that our issues would be better. Our nurse was also very attentive and helpful.” — Angelique G. (January 17, 2019)
- “”I get very anxious having to go to doctor’s appointments, but the second I walk in the doors of Westlake Dermatology, I’m immediately greeted with a smile and a very friendly check in process. The medical assistants are friendly, efficient and know from memory what my medical issues are and start the appointment with calm conversation about what has brought me back, questions about any changes from the last visit, then immediately go get Dr. Coverman – I’m ready. As for Dr. Michael Coverman, there is little I can say that I haven’t already. He has been my doctor for a very long time, he’s friendly, inspires trust, explores every possible solution for your condition, and educates you about the latest research, why he’s going to try a medication or treatment and why he would rather not try others. He’s genuinely concerned about your medical and emotional status and will dedicate plenty of time with you to make sure you don’t have any unanswered questions or any confusion. He’s easily one of the top dermatologists Austin.” — John P. (January 13, 2019)
- “I love Dr. Coverman, and would follow him anywhere!” — Sandra T. (January 11, 2019)
- “I was 100% impressed by all interactions with all team members! I was recommended to this clinic and to Dr. Coverman by a friend. I would definitely recommend both, as well.” — Gumecindo L. (November 16, 2018)
- “I think Dr. Coverman is excellent. He has a very friendly demeanor and I know that I can trust him not to “watch” a problem. He deals with it. I have followed him from his own practice, to Westlake Dermatology on Lakeline, and now to his location off Mopac. My suggestion is that Westlake make sure they retain this guy!” — Joseph L. (August 3, 2018)
- “Great from start to finish. Thank you.” — Robert O. (August 2, 2018)
- “Kudos to Dr. Coverman. I’ve been a patient of Dr. Coverman’s for many years (10-15). He has provided exceptional service and care over these years including diagnosing and treating my skin cancer. His many years of experience and his vast wealth of knowledge in his field likely cannot be matched, at least not in Central Texas. Thank you Dr. Coverman for providing life saving care for me as well as for many others, as I’m sure you’ve helped countless patients over the years. We seem to live in an age where common courtesy, including saying “Thank you” to others seems to be fading. To Dr. Coverman I say “thank you”. Thank you for all you do and all you’ve done for me. You are very much appreciated!” — Joseph S. (July 25, 2018)
- “Dr. Coverman is excellent as always. Thank you for all that you have done for me.” — Matthew R. (June 4, 2018)
- “Everything was great, see you next year.” — Dan S. (December 6, 2017)
- “Dr. Coverman and his staff were excellent.” — John P. (December 1, 2017)
- “Everyone at the office was so nice and helpful. This was my first time at a dermatologist as I have always gone to my primary care doctor for skin related problems. However, that was no longer working for me. Dr. Coverman’s experience was very evident when he very quickly and methodically addressed each issue and concern, provided a treatment plan, and explained each step of treatment. He also took the time to answer all of my questions. I was surprised and very pleased with how quick he was able to address all of my concerns (relieved a lot of stress)! His assistant was also very helpful and took time to write on the prescription printout the instructions for each one to make sure I followed them correctly.” — Jillian F. (November 8, 2017)
- “I was completely satisfied with everything. Dr. Coverman was very thorough.” — Karen C. (October 10, 2017)
- “I had been seeing Dr. Coverman in his previous office for over 20 years and was very happy with all people there. I am glad to see that the folks in his new office are just as pleasant and efficient. Dr Coverman, of course, is continually helpful and always enjoyable to visit.” — Charles N. (August 10, 2017)
- “Dr Coverman was extremely caring and enthusiastic.” — Carlos C. (July 28, 2017)
- “Loved it! First time to the dermatologist and Judy and Dr. Coverman were AH-maz-ing!” — Dannielle C. (July 19, 2017)
- “Dr. Coverman is truly a wonderful doctor he is professional and compassionate! I think he is an excellent asset to your clinic.” — Kelly C. (July 11, 2017)
- “Dr. Coverman was excellent. He is very knowledgeable and took time to discuss options with us. The staff was friendly and helpful. I’ve been to many dermatologists in Austin and this practice is by far my favorite.” — Susan R. (June 21, 2017)
- “My visit was enjoyable. The staff was friendly and Dr. Coverman is always gracious and engaging.” — Sandra B. (June 19, 2017)